Sunday, January 29, 2012

More Buggy Stuff

The basic layout of the intake and exhaust
system is done.









I still need to build a balance tube between the two sides, and my plan is to plumb all the sensors into that. Boost gauge, MAP sensor, and a blow off valve.

 I am probably going to have to change the exhaust (after turbo) to go to the outside of the before turbo pipes. I wanted it compact, but it's too close to the valve cover and timing belt cover. You see that black tube on the left that goes from the transmission mount up to the cage? It took me 4 hours to redesign those 2 tubes to clear the new engine, and associated plumbing.




Not easy to see in the photo, but the oil pan has been shortened to where it is just above the bumper tubes.

The welding on the bottom is a sump for the pickup tube, which also had to be shortened. I borrowed some play dough from a mom at work and checked the clearance between the 2, just right! I still have some square tube to weld to both sides yet, to add capacity.




To give you an idea of how small those turbos are, the flange adapter I made is the size of a standard bug intake manifold.








This picture doesn't do it justice, but the TIG welding my buddy Joe did on the stainless exhaust is really nice. The way the 2 primaries merge together is a thing of beauty.

1 comment: